Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day 3...along the route

Meet Charlie.
He's very tall.
And he was also my walking buddy for ALL of Day 3. We met within the first 2 blocks of the route, and started chatting. His story is amazing because he stepped into the walk (no pun intended) 3 weeks before it started...his brother was the one scheduled to do this, but when he broke his leg, Charlie volunteered to take his place. I just looked at him and said, "wow! you're doing SO well!" If I had only trained 3 weeks, I would not have been moving by Day 3. They walked in honor of their mother, a survivor. And for his new baby daughter (who shares my name!) so that she will never need to know breast cancer. Despite his height, we matched pace perfectly and his conversation - and our interactions with those we occasionally fell into stride with - made Day 3 very enjoyable.

No comments: